It shall be unlawful to keep, own, or in any way possess, within the corporate limits of the City of Greensburg, Kansas:
(a) Any Pit Bull dog. Pit Bull dog is defined to mean:
(1) The bull terrier breed of dog;
(2) The Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
(3) The American Pit Bull terrier breed of dog;
(4) The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
(5) The dog of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as Pit Bulls, Pit Bull dogs or Pit Bull terriers;
(6) Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominately of the breeds of bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American Pit Bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier; any other breed commonly known as Pit Bulls, Pit Bull dogs or Pit Bull terrier; or a combination of any of these breeds.
(Ord. 2006-925, Sec. 1; Code 2007; Ord. 1038)
(a) It shall be unlawful for the owners, keepers or harborer of Pit Bull dogs, within the City of Greensburg to fail to comply with the requirements and conditions set forth in this article. Any Pit Bull found to be the subject of a violation of this article shall be subject to immediate seizure and impoundment or immediate removal of the Pit Bull from the city.
(b) The city reserves the right to destroy, quarantine or remove Pit Bulls from the City as needed to protect city employees, the public or other animals in the animal shelter.
(Ord. 2006-925, Sec. 3; Code 2007; Ord. 1038)
Any person violating or permitting the violation of any provision of Chapter II, Article 4 shall, upon conviction in Municipal Court, be fined a sum not less than $100.00 and not more than $1,000.00 for each day a violation has continued. In addition to the fine imposed, the court may sentence the owner, keeper or harborer to imprisonment for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days. Should the owner, keeper or harborer refuse to remove the Pit Bull from the City, the Municipal Court Judge shall find the owner, keeper or harborer in contempt and order the immediate confiscation and impoundment of the Pit Bull. Each day that a violation of this article continues shall be deemed a separate offense. In addition to the foregoing penalties, any person who violates this article shall pay all expenses, including impoundment fees and other expenses authorized by Section 2-115(b).
(Ord. 2006-925, Sec. 4; Code 2007; Ord. 1038)