The general management, care, control and supervision of the city water system shall be the superintendent of utilities, who shall be appointed by the city administrator, with the advice and consent of the mayor and the governing body in accordance with section 1-302.

(Code 2007; Code 2014)

The furnishing of water to customers by the city through its waterworks system shall be governed by the regulations set out in this article.

(Code 2007)

The city does not guarantee the delivery of water through any of its mains and connecting services at any time except only when its mains, pumping machinery, power service connection are in good working order, and the supply of water is sufficient for the usual demand of its consumers.

(Code 2007)

(a)   The owner of all houses, buildings, or properties used for human occupancy, employment, recreation, or other purpose, situated within the City abutting on any street, alley, or right-of-way in which there is now located or may in the future be located near public water mains, is hereby required at his or her own expense to make connection to such public water main.

(b)   Before any connection is made to the City’s water system, an application must be made in writing to the City Clerk by the owner of the premises, or his or her authorized representative, for a permit to make such connection.

(c)   Prior to receiving a connection permit the owner must pay the City a connection fee of $950.00 for a 1” line and $1,250.00 for a 2” line.

(Code 2007; Ord. 962)

(a)   Any person, firm or corporation desiring a connection with the municipal water system shall apply in writing to the city clerk, on a form furnished by the city for that purpose, for a permit to make the connection.

(b)   The application shall:

(1)   Contain an exact description including street address of the property to be served;

(2)   State the size of tap required;

(3)   State the size and kind of service pipe to be used;

(4)   State the full name of the owner of the premises to be served;

(5)   State the purpose for which the water is to be used;

(6)   State any other pertinent information required by the city clerk;

(7)   Be signed by the owner or occupant of the premises to be served, or his or her authorized agent.

(c)   Each application for a connection permit shall be accompanied by payment of fees and/or costs specified in this article.

(Code 2007)

All taps shall be given, street excavations made, corporation cocks inserted, pipes installed from main to curb, and the curb cock installed in a meter box to which the service pipe is to be connected by city employees only.

(Code 2007)

There shall be a curb cock in every service line attached to the city main, the same to be placed within the meter box.  Curb cocks shall be supplied with strong and suitable “T” handles.

(Code 2007)

Check valves are required on all connections to steam boilers or on any other connection deemed necessary by the water superintendent.  Safety and relief valves shall be placed on all boilers or other steam apparatus connected to the water system where the steam pressure may be raised in excess of 40 pounds per square inch.

(Code 2007)

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation, other than duly authorized employees to turn water on or off at the water meter or curb cock shut off, with a key or in any other manner, without first obtaining written permission.

(Code 2007; Code 2014)

(a)   All water furnished to customers shall be metered.

(b)   Meters shall be located between the sidewalk or property line and curbing when the main is in the street, and on private property within three feet of the alley line when the main is in the alley.

(c)   The city’s responsibility stops at the meter.

(Code 2007; Code 2014)

Meters shall be tested before being set and at any other time thereafter when they appear to be measuring incorrectly.  If a test is requested by the customer and the meter is found to be accurate within two percent, the meter will be deemed correct.

(Code 2007)

It shall be unlawful for any person to break the seal of any meter, to alter the register or mechanism of any meter, or to make any outlet or connection in any manner so that water supplied by the city may be used or wasted without being metered.  It shall be unlawful for any person except an authorized employee of the water department to turn any curb cock on or off.

(Code 2007)

No allowances shall be made for water used or lost through leaks, carelessness, neglect or otherwise after the same has pass through the meter.  However, every customer shall have the right to appeal to the city from water bill or meter reading which he or she may consider excessive.

(Code 2007)

The governing body shall establish, by ordinance, a water service disconnection and reconnection charge.  Any service disconnected for nonpayment of delinquent bill shall be reconnected only upon payment of the delinquent bill, interest penalty thereon, and the reconnection charge.

(Code 2007; Code 2014)

At the time of making application for water service, the property owner or customer shall make a cash deposit in the amount and manner specified in section 15-102 to secure payment of accrued bills or bills due on discontinuance of service.

(Code 2007; Code 2014)

The city reserves the right to interrupt water service for the purpose of making repairs or extensions to water lines or equipment.

(Code 2007)

It shall be a violation of this article for any unauthorized person to:

(a)   Perform any work upon the pipes or appurtenances of the city’s waterworks system unless such person is employed by the city;

(b)   Make any connections with any extension of the supply pipes of any consumer without written permission to do so having been first obtained from the city clerk;

(c)   Remove, handle or otherwise molest or disturb any meter, meter lid, cutoff, or any other appurtenances to the water system of the city.

(Code 2007; Code 2014)

Water users shall prevent unnecessary waste of water and shall keep sprinklers, hydrants, faucets and all apparatus, including the service line leading from the property to the meter in good condition at their expense.

(Code 2007)

Authorized employees of the city may enter upon any premises at reasonable hours for the purpose of reading the meter or servicing or inspecting meters or water lines.

(Code 2007)

Water service shall be terminated for nonpayment of service fees or charges as provided in sections 15-103:106.

(Code 2007; Code 2014)

No person owning or occupying premises connected to the municipal water system shall use or allow to be used during a fire any water from the water system except for the purpose of extinguishing the fire. Upon the sounding of a fire alarm it shall be the duty of every such person to see that all water services are tightly closed and that no water is used except in extraordinary cases of emergency during the fire.

(Code 2007)

The following monthly rates for the sales of water to all consumers by the Water Department of the City of Greensburg, Kansas, shall be charged and collected in accordance with the following rate schedule pertaining thereto:

(a)       Consumers Inside City Limits: 

       Residential and Church Customers:

(1)   Minimum monthly fee of $14.80 per month:

(2)   For the first 7,000 gallons used, or portion thereof, a fee of $2.40 per 1,000 gallon:

(3)   For all water used in excess of 7,000 gallon, a fee of $2.70 per 1,000 Gallon.

       Commercial Customers:

(1)   Minimum monthly fee of $17.80 per month;

(2)   For the first 7,000 gallons used, or portion thereof, a fee of $2.60 per 1,000 gallons.

(3)   For all water used in excess of 7,000 gallons, a monthly rate of $3.00 per 1,000.

(b)   Consumers Outside City limits:

(1)   Minimum monthly fee of $17.80 per month:

(2)   For the first 7,000 gallons used, or portion thereof, a fee of $2.75 per 1,000 gallons.

(3)   All water used in excess of 7,000 gallons, a monthly rate of$ 3.10 per 1,000 gallons.

(Ord. 962; Ord. 1006; Ord. 1039; Code 2014)

Rates, fees and charges for water may be modified and established by Resolution of the Governing Body of the City of Greensburg, Kansas.

(Ord. 1039)